Saturday, February 13, 2010

No. 44 Corrugated Roof Table -Inspired by...Week

This is a quick sketch of a table inspired when I looked up at the underside of the gymnastics building roof today.

 

Even though this piece could be easily made from steel components, keeping everything in wood ads to the design for me. Maple, walnut and glass top.



Grab a pencil and paper and hold onto those drawings, because the new Furniture Design Blog will be rolling out soon. Stay tuned here for the latest.

3 comments:

chris@flairwoodworks said...

Jamon,

I like this week's theme. Inspiration is everywhere, and I say that a lot. I'm the guy who's always looking around, especially up, when everybody else is watching where they are going or wondering what I'm looking at,

Torch02 said...

Looking at this, my mind first jumped to how to make the "corrugated" wood top. A router was the first thing to come to mind, but I guess with the right type of molding planes you could plow the grooves then add the "chamfers" for each groove.

Have any thoughts on this?

jamon schlimgen cabinetmaker said...

Chris, yeah I always carry a pen and some paper to rough sketch ideas and things I run across.

Steve, my initial thought was router as well. Molding planes would take a while, but would probably be fun. I also thought of table saw for the angle then hogging the rest with a router.