Friday, February 5, 2010

No. 36 Japanese Screen Bed -Bed Week

This week I'll be tackling beds. I'm excited about this subject for a few reasons, of which I'll list the important ones.
  1. I have not designed many beds.
  2. It was my wife's idea.


 This bed is an unabashed ripoff interpretation of a Japanese screen wall. The design actually incorporates ideas and themes form a number of aspects of Japanese architecture and a little bit of original design (the chamfer of the screen frame). The bed is obviously not made for people under 8" tall, that is just the space saving format I chose to draw it in. I see it in made of cypress (traditional) or some dark wood with interesting grain such as wenge.


Grab a pencil, some paper and start drawing your own beds or anything else for that matter. After you're done share them with the rest of us at furnituredesign.tumblr.com

3 comments:

Ken said...

If you have cats or young children, I think I'd forego actual rice paper. However, a soft light behind paper would be very good if you had to get up in the middle of the night.

I like the look. I think that in a light wood you'd get an impression of light solidity. Sounds odd, I know - it has the appearance of being a very solid, stable "structure", but the way it opens up at the top and the way the headboard rises so far above the foot, and, I think, the shape of the legs give it a solid anchor while reaching towards the sky.

Is that too much to read into a bed design?

Torch02 said...

I like the look of this bed. On the vertical panels in both the headboard and footer - are those chamfers on the edges of tongue & grooved boards or is that some kind of decorative inlay?

jamon schlimgen cabinetmaker said...

Ken
Thanks and no I don't think that is reading to much into a bed design.

Dale
The wahsi would look great (source?), and the cedar bark is really cool too. I see where you are going with the horizontal wood, that might make a nice alternate version.

Steve
Yes to chamfered tongue & grooved boards .